Preserving Alger House

 Preserving Alger House

On Sunday afternoon, a community meeting was held at Luminous Brewhouse to discuss how to save Alger House. Alger House is located on 429 West Alger Street right next to the Fulmer Public Library. The house was constructed around 1905 and is considered to be one of the first examples of a brick structure built in Sheridan. The house is eligible for a spot on the National Register of Historic Places. The library foundation board acquired the property in 2001 then transferred ownership to the County in 2005. The foundation has put up the money to demolish the building, about $17,500, in order to prevent the County from selling the whole lot. The earliest scheduled demolition date is set for May 15th. Bonnie Gregory, a member of the Downtown Sheridan Association, talks about the next step for saving the Alger House.

Among the attendees at the meeting were representatives from the Library Foundation Board, one of whom being Karen Nicolarsen, the Treasurer. One of the ideas presented at the meeting was for a private entity to buy the house and turn it into a profitable endeavor. However, the Foundation would prefer to not have it go to a private buyer because the library attained the property from funds raised by the community solely to benefit the library. The Foundation does not have a use prepared for the land at this time, should the demolition go forward. Nicolarsen talks about the dilemma with the property.

Gregory encourages members of the community who are interested in preserving the Alger House to show support by getting involved with County Commissioner meetings.

Wyo Theater
view counter
Bonnie Gregory at the microphone
Bonnie Gregory at the microphone
 Preserving Alger House
Karen Nicolarsen at the microphone
Karen Nicolarsen at the microphone
SheridanWyoming.com

Send us a News Tip!

Have a news tip?
Use our anonymous form to let us know.