Ironworks Helps Sheridan Build

The Sheridan Iron Works provided approximately 150 tons of steel, iron, sheet metal and other heavy structural material for Sheridan's new high school on Lewis Street.

That's according to the newspaper article in January 1926, announcing that the “imposing new high school building” was occupied. The Iron Works also supplied ventilators, trusses, heating and plumbing appliances for the new school.

The newspaper noted that the Sheridan foundry was the only plant of its kind “in a wide radius of country,” and foundry products went to many states. The foundry provided steel for the hospitals in Johnson and Campbell counties, churches in Gillette and Thermopolis, and equipment for the Keyhole Dam and the water system in Rapid City, South Dakota.

The company supplied materials for Sheridan County too. The company built the framework for the stone pavilion at the county fairgrounds, and made the structural steel for the roof of the then-new Safeway store in 1952. Before that, the foundry created fabricated concrete reinforcing bars for bridges over Little Goose Creek on the Girls School Road and the Ranchester State Line Road.

Sheridan Iron Works built steel bridges for the Kendrick Cattle Company. The steel roof deck for Holy Name School and gymnasium and materials for Woodland Park school came from Sheridan Iron Works.

Steel from the foundry can be found in the Sheridan County Airport administration building and in businesses around town including the old First National Bank, now Bank of the West, warehouses and other businesses. And the manhole covers on Main Street in downtown Sheridan? Those too bear the stamp of the Sheridan Iron Works.

Eye Care of the Big Horns
view counter
SheridanWyoming.com

Send us a News Tip!

Have a news tip?
Use our anonymous form to let us know.