CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - The Wyoming Department of Health is encouraging state residents to check their homes for unsafe radon levels. Radon is a naturally occurring gas that comes from the natural decay of uranium. It's odorless and can reach harmful levels when it's trapped in indoor spaces.
The state health department says that radon is present in an estimated 35 percent of Wyoming homes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says exposure to radon can increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer.
Timothy Ryan is environmental public health section chief with the Wyoming Department of Health. He encourages people to get their homes tested. Radon test kits can be purchased at www.wyoming.radon.com at a buy one, get one free rate of $6.95.