Residents at 343 East Heald Street in Sheridan used fire extinguishers to limit fire damage to the attic of their home Wednesday night, according to Sheridan Fire-Rescue.
Ron Lockwood, owner of the home, used two portable fire extinguishers in his attempts to control the fire before fire crews arrived and eventually put it out.
Sheridan Fire Marshal Brian Songer
Lockwood and his wife Katrina heard smoke detectors and smelled the smoke, and she removed pets from the home during her husband's efforts.
Songer says crews stopped the fire in the attic of the home where it started around a built-in fireplace.
Goose Valley Fire Department and Rocky Mountain Ambulance assisted and crews worked early into Thursday morning, removing debris and smoldering insulation from the attic.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation but officials believe “overheating or electrical malfunction” are possible causes.
Though the fire was stopped in the attic of the single family home, the entire structure experienced “heavy smoke damage”.
Songer credited the preparedness and quick action of the owners in minimizing the damage caused by the fire.