The Johnson County Commissioners, at last week's meeting, accepted Federal funding and earmarked it for rural signage of roads and houses in the county.
County Commission Chair Smokey Wildeman explains further.
The signage will help not only police, fire, ambulance or other emergency services, but postal, UPS and Fed Ex personnel in finding rural addresses in the county.
The funding is for roughly $115,000 of which 95 percent, or $110,000 will be used for the signage project. The other 5% will be designated for the Johnson County School District.
The signs will all be standardized throughout the county, placed in the same locations at intersections and in rights-of-way on private property, according to Wildeman and Johnson County Fire Chief Wes Johnson, who will be oversseing the project.
Johnson said he has crews waiting to begin as soon as the ground thaws and posts can be installed. The hope is to have the process completed this year and that costs will not exceed the $110,000. Should costs exceed that amount, the Fire District and County will look into other options for funding.