Unfenced

Posted in

Since May 23, 1962 this Class 0-5-A Mohawk 4-8-4 Type Highspeed Combination Passenger-Freight Engine 5631 has been located in Rotary Park at the corner of Broadway and 5th Street in Sheridan. Dr. Docekal, a retired dentist and former railroader spearheaded the campaign to obtain this locomotive in the 1960's. Built in 1940 by C.B.&Q R.R.Co. Shop this engine w/tender is 106'5" long and weights 290 tons. As a side note from Charlie Popovich's book "Sheridan Wyoming and Area Historical Sites" (available at the local library): The first passenger train arrived in Sheridan on November 18, 1892. And, the last passenger train to stop in Sheridan was on August 24, 1969. For more on this locomotive see: http://www.steamlocomotive.com/n...

There are four survivors of the 36 built: number 5614 on display in a city park in St. Joseph, MO; number 5629 at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, CO; number 5631 at a depot in Sheridan, WY and number 5633 at the Douglass Railroad Interpretive Center which is located at the C&NW Depot in Douglass, WY.

www.deerrungraphics.com

Unfenced
Unfenced