New Bell Tower on the Big Horn School Campus

Posted in

As part of the recent Big Horn School Campus renovation a new bell tower was constructed. This tower now houses two historic bells. Information from Judy Slack, manager of the Wyoming Room of the Sheridan Fulmer Public LIbrary, indicates that the smaller bell on the right - The Wyoming Collegiate Institute Bell - was used from 1892 - 1930. It was given back to the Jackson (Helvey) family until the late 1900's when Bob Helvey donated it to Sheridan College. In 1996 the bell was given to the Big Horn City Historical Society for safe keeping. As of August 2012 it is on loan to Sheridan County School District #1. The larger bell, on the left, was used from 1931 - the 1970's in a previous bell tower. Later the bell was placed on the Industrial Arts Shop where it remained for many years.

As part of the recent Big Horn School Campus renovation a new bell tower was constructed. This tower now houses two historic bells.
As part of the recent Big Horn School Campus renovation a new bell tower was constructed. This tower now houses two historic bells.