On Monday, temperatures rose to just shy of 90 degrees in Sheridan. Our record high was 107 degrees for that date, but there were some areas of town even hotter. The interior of an automobile can reach temperatures of 150 degrees or higher in the summertime sun. Sheridan Police Department Community Service Officer S. K. Walker says pets should never be left in a vehicle in the heat.
Walker says that even leaving the window cracked or open will not prevent the interior from becoming too hot for animals.
Animal control officials recommend that pets should be left at home if they cannot accompany their owners once they’ve reached their destination.
Citations can be issued to those leaving pets in unattended vehicles.