Gothic Revival Architecture Earns Listing for Church

Posted in
Detail of one of the stained glass windows installed beginning in 1958. (Photo by Pat Blair)
Detail of one of the stained glass windows installed beginning in 1958. (Photo by Pat Blair)

Sheridan Media continues its look at the local sites that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today, reporter Pat Blair focuses on St. Peter's Episcopal Church.


Gothic Revival architecture and an array of stained glass windows depicting the history of Christianity and of the church in America and Wyoming helped St. Peter's Episcopal Church earn a place in the National Register. The church is Sheridan's newest historic place, receiving the designation on May 21, 2013.

St. Peter's member Dr. Margaret Pilch initiated the application for the listing. The church at 1 South Tschirgi Street was designed in 1911, built in 1912, and formally dedicated in 1916. Dr. Pilch said the delay was because of a belief of Episcopalians that you cannot dedicate something that isn't yours. The dedication had to be deferred until the debt incurred in construction was paid off.

The first Episcopal church service in Sheridan was in April 1891, and a church was built on Tschirgi Street in 1894. Plans began in 1911 for a larger church to serve a growing congregation. The finished church, occupying one-half of a city block, hosted its first service in September 1912. Creation of stained glass windows to complement the church's English Gothic design began in the 1950s. The first windows were installed in 1958, the last in 1972. All windows were financed by gifts from individuals, memorials and donations from members and friends of St. Peter's Parish.

view counter
Exterior of St. Peter's Episcopal Church. (Photo by Pat Blair)
St. Peter's interior.(Photo by Pat Blair)
Fireplace in the original, no longer used, church office upstairs.
Photo of first St. Peter's Episcopal Church, built in 1894. (Photo by Pat Blair)
The church's small chapel, built in the 1960s and used for small funerals and week-day services. (Photo by Pat Blair)
Detail of a stained glass window in the small chapel.