At approximately 5 p.m. last night, the Sheridan Police Department, Sheridan Fire-Rescue and Montana Dakota Utilities were on the scene, when a gas leak near the Downtown Sheridan Association building on the corner of Main Street and Coffeen Avenue was reported. The leak caused a temporary evacuation of residences and businesses within a two block radius of the Burkitt Street area, between the intersections of Brooks and Scott streets.
Crews worked until late in the evening to resolve the issue and officials from Billings drove down to assess the situation. Here is what Fire-Rescue Captain Gary Harnish said last night about the incident while it was occurring.
Billings MDU officials worked to close down both sides of the leaking gas lines and shortly after 10 pm, Harnish said they were wrapping up work and the area was deemed safe for people to return. The exact cause of the leak has yet to be determined, as we are waiting to hear back from MDU on the situation.