Fire Destroys Shed on KROE Lane, No Injuries

Smoke rises from a shed on Kroe Ln. Monday afternoon. Crews believe smoldering ashes that were stored inside of it earlier in the day ignited combustibles and caused the fire. (photo courtesy SFR)
Smoke rises from a shed on Kroe Ln. Monday afternoon. Crews believe smoldering ashes that were stored inside of it earlier in the day ignited combustibles and caused the fire. (photo courtesy SFR)

Sheridan Fire-Rescue contained a structure fire to a shed on the 600 Block of KROE Lane Monday evening, preventing the blaze from reaching the adjacent home, according to a media release from Fire Marshal Brian Songer.

The shed was engulfed in flames when Sheridan Fire Rescue arrived and crews used the 500 gallons of water stored in engine 1 to douse the fire. Goose Valley assisted and Rocky Mountain Ambulance was on scene. The 10 by 20 foot shed and its contents were completely destroyed.

According to the release, it is believed that the fire started after the owner, Ken Hart, had disposed of ashes from a fireplace near shed earlier in the day. Ashes ignited combustibles on or near the shed, the release says.

Songer stated in the release that SFR reminds residents that ashes from wood and coal burning equipment can remain hot for several days, and for that fact should be kept in a metal container with a tight-fitting lid until they are cooled. The container should then be placed on a noncombustible surface away from buildings or other flammable materials, Songer said.

Crews responded around 4 pm and no injuries were reported.

uBlaze Vapor
view counter