Faulty Ceiling Fan Starts Elk View Inn Cabin Fire

Sheridan Fire-Rescue Firefighter/EMT assessing the damage inside the burned cabin. (photo courtesy Brian Songer)
Sheridan Fire-Rescue Firefighter/EMT assessing the damage inside the burned cabin. (photo courtesy Brian Songer)

A Sunday morning fire inside an employee housing cabin at Elk View Inn off Highway 14 near Dayton is believed to have originated in a ceiling fan, according to a media release from Sheridan Fire-Rescue Marshal Brian Songer.

Dayton Fire personnel knocked down the fire shortly before SFR arrived, along with Burgess Junction Rescue and Rocky Mountain Ambulance.

The structure, a single-story duplex cabin, sustained heavy interior damage, Songer said.

SFR personnel remained on-scene until early Sunday afternoon to make sure that the interior was clear of toxic gases including carbon monoxide. They also used a thermal imaging camera to check for fire extension in wall and ceiling areas.

Wyo Theater
view counter