Gillette - According to a release from Basin Electric Power Cooperative, celebrating the completion of a more than 3-year project, the Dry Fork Station had more than 1,100 people attend the coal-based power plant's dedication ceremony in Gillette Thursday.
According to a release from the Basin Electric Power Cooperative, Governor Mead was in attendance and called the station a story of perseverance, and coal a part of Wyoming's “past, present and future”.
Other Wyoming legislators commented on the station as well, Sen John Barrasso and Rep. Cynthia Lummis both stressed the importance of coal to Wyoming in their statements.
The Dry Fork Station began construction in 2007 and employed a peak-number 1,300 workers at one time in 2009. Basin Electric CEO Ron Harper said in the release that more than 336 million has been invested in environmental controls that make Dry Fork one of the cleanest coal producing sites in the country.
Former Wyoming Governor Dave Freudenthal spoke at the ceremony, along with Tom Murphy Gillette Mayor, and several officials from the Basin Electric Power Cooperative.
BEPC owns 92.9 percent of the Dry Fork Station, and Wyoming Municipal Power Angency, Lusk, owns the remaining 7.1 percent.