Startling news from the Nebraska Regional Poison Center was released late last week, indicating that since the holidays, five different states have reported ten deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning. In that same time period, five states reported eighty-five ER visits and twenty-seven hospitalizations from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Joan McVoy is a registered nurse, and is also a certified poison information specialist and educator at the Poison Center. She tells us what's going on.
She describes what symptoms a person should look for.
Carbon monoxide is formed when fuels don't burn completely. It has no color, taste or smell, so it really is considered a silent killer. McVoy tells us what can be done to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
She adds that it's a good idea to own a carbon monoxide detector, which should be placed close to sleeping areas. They can be purchased at most hardware stores.
McVoy says that there is a nurse on duty 24/7 at the Poison Control Center, and you can call 1-800-222-1222 at any time if you have questions.